Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Beauty of Wisdom

My most poignant birthday gift this year is discovering that I need to purchase a pair of reading glasses. Much to my disdain, the (far too young) optician found my whole deep-rooted reluctance to the concept of needing them at all extremely hilarious.

Today's realisation reminded me of this beautiful old lady who works at a lotus flower spinning 'factory' where they painstakingly spin yarn then make the most beautiful scarves & clothes from them. The tools used are rudimentary beyond belief. Literally a throwback to the days when Rapunzel was spinning wool!



The workshop is built on wooden stilts and sits in the middle of Inle Lake. They rely on the bright sunlight from the open windows for intricate eye straining labour.

Yet amazingly, despite her age she doesn't need glasses. She has dried tanaka (sunscreen) on her face to protect her from the heat of the sun. At first she kept glancing shyly in my direction and was reluctant to smile fully since she was ashamed of her teeth. I assured her she was glowingly beautiful at which point she unleashed this heart-warming grin!

This is my gift to you all. May you all be blessed with health and happiness.... & perfect eyesight; always :) PS. Now go eat some carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment